Under what circumstances can I get a restraining order against my ex?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under what circumstances can I get a restraining order against my ex?

I have been divorced for 2 years and work in the local school I am a para, teaching pre-school. My ex husband will come up to the school and curse me never in front of the children. There was past physical abuse but never reported and I am scared he is really going to hurt me. Can I get a restraining order or even call the police for him cursing me at school.

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.   It is best for you to speak with an attorney in your area on the matter.  It is my understanding that the state of Arkansas has various types of restraining orders depending on the circumstances surrounding them.  One type of restraining order deals directly with domestic violence - called an Order of Protection - while a second deals with divorce cases within the state, called a Restraining Order. Should there be criminal charges filed in a domestic violence case, then a third type of order - a No Contact Order - may also be filed.  The criteria vary so it is important to ask an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption