Can I get a divorce if my husband can’t be found?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a divorce if my husband can’t be found?

My husband and I have been separated for over 10 years. We have 3 children who are in my custody and have been since that time. My husband owes many years of child support and finds a way not to be found, I’ve search for him based on his last where-about but because he is avoiding me because of child support and the police, I don’t know what to do. Can I get a divorce from him even though he doesn’t want to be found? Any information concerning this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Family Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't understand.  Is this court ordered child support from a legal separation? Because usually child support is from a divorce. You can, if you are still legally married, file for divorce.  Check with a divorce lawyer in your state on your best route.  Try  You can also contact the court in the county in which you reside.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption