Can I get a default judgement re-opened and re-assessed even though it’s been 3 years?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a default judgement re-opened and re-assessed even though it’s been 3 years?

I have a judgement against myself where the landlord went after me even though I wasn’t even on the lease. My wife was on the lease but the landlord told me that since my wife couldn’t be found at the time, she was just going to sue me for the money (she is now my ex-wife). I just found out that the judgement was won against me but it was done over 3 years ago. Can I get the case re-opened and that my ex-wife can pay half of it?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure how you just found out since the court would have required proper service and you must have been on the lease in some form (as a co-signer).  If you are not on the lease but you are listed as a co-tenant, it could be held against you if you are husband and wife. I believe if the judgment was proper, it will stand. Your time to dispute the judgment may be too late but the statute of limitations (as would need to be argued by you) could be tolled/delayed if you just found out about this judgment. If you attempt to have this judgment reversed, you should consider suing your ex for contribution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption