can i get a case filed against me for a friend trying to steal ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i get a case filed against me for a friend trying to steal ?

My friend and i were at walgreens, she
got caught trying to steal, i paid
everything at the store, the employee
followed us out and got my licence
plate number which is under my name.
Can i get a case filed against me ??

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you helped her in some way, such as even by helping her "get away" (driving her), or by, say, distracting store staff when she was stealing, or being a lockout for her, when you knew she was going to or did steal, you could be charged as an accomplice.
Even if you didn't help her, you could find yourself charged and having to defend yourself if the circumstances strongly suggest (and the authorities believe) that you were participating in the theft. If you can prove you were completely innocent of it and didn't even know she was trying to steal, that would be  a good defense, but that could be hard to substantiate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption