Can I get a annulment if we have only been married a little over 2 weeks?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a annulment if we have only been married a little over 2 weeks?

Unfortunatly nothing has changed for the better between us as I hoped it would. I was scared to get married in the first place; he isn’t from here and has no papers/visa etc. He recently caught a case and I was scared of him being deported and a lawyer told us that if we got married before court most likely he won’t be. Now I am starting to think that it was a wrong decision. I do feel like I was pressured (not by him) due to the circumstamces. And I know he wasn’t marrying me just for papers

Asked on April 23, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in Wisconsin, civil annulments are difficult to obtainand not very common. The amount of time that you are married does not matter.  You need to have grounds for a civil annulment in Wisconsin To obtain a civil annulment in Wisconsin, and specifically prove one of the grounds stated within the time period specified by statute.  They are: 1. One of the parties to the marriage lacked the legal capacity to consent to the marriage; 2. One of the parties lacks the physical capacity to consummate the marriage; 3. One of the parties was a minor and did not have parental consent to marry; 4. The marriage is prohibited by the laws of the State of Wisconsin.  Getting a divorce, on the other hand, does not necessarily require proving grounds.  Get some legal help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption