Can I get a advance on my workers’ comp claim?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get a advance on my workers’ comp claim?

I’ve tried a couple companies but I didn’t get approved for some reason. I’ve been off work for about 9 months and the doctor released me back to work almost 3 months ago. My job fired me right when I gave them the paperwork saying that I was clear for full duty. So therefore I’m losing everything I’ve got now.

Asked on June 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't get an advance against worker's comp: worker's compensation is not a lump sum payment from which you could potentially get an advance, but is periodic (e.g. weekly) payments from what is essentially an insurance fund, for medical costs and/or some amount of wage replacement and/or compensation for your injuries. Worker's comp does not off the option of getting an advance against those payments, and many of the costs or amounts it will pay are not knowable in advance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption