Can I get 1/2 of my husband’s salary to pay bills while we’re separated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get 1/2 of my husband’s salary to pay bills while we’re separated?

My husband has taken all of the money out of our accounts and I do not make enough to pay

bills for my son and I.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Have you or your husband filed for divorce?  If the answer is yes, then your attorney needs to make an application for temporary support (called Pendente Lite relief) to help pay your bills and support your son and support you as well. If you have not filed for divorce, the Family Court can also issue temporary support - spousal and child - to you during the separation.  How much will depend on a formula the courts use based upon your salary and his salary and your needs.  Make sure you ask about an order for exclusive use of the marital home and temproary custody of your son as well.  But I would seek consultation on all of this before you move forward.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption