Can I force my granddaughter’s boyfriend out of my home with 30 days notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my granddaughter’s boyfriend out of my home with 30 days notice?

My granddaughter and her boyfriend live here. There is no rent or rental agreement. There is no mortgage on the home. They have been paying the bills for almost a year of approximately $400 a month in bills to

run the home.

Asked on July 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Even though there is no lease agreement, he will still be considered to be a "tenant" since they have paid the bills for the house and this legally constitutes a form of rent. Accordingly, since no written agreement exists, he is a month-to-month tenant which means that you can give a 30 day notice to vacate. If he fails to do so, then you will need to file for an "unlawful detainer" (i.e. eviction). Be sure to follow all legal requirements for this as any non-compliance will result in the case being thrown out, at which point you will need to start the entire process over. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a local lawyer who handles landlord/tenant cases as they can best advise you further as to specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption