Can I force my brother to pay me the value of my grandmother’s house which was willed to both of us?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my brother to pay me the value of my grandmother’s house which was willed to both of us?

My grandmother left a house to me, my brother and sister when she passed away. My brother has lived at the house for 15 years and has paid the taxes and upkeep to it. Can my sister and I force him to take a mortgage out, in order for him to pay us our share of the house?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can bring an action in partition. The court will force a sale. Either he buys you out, you buy him out or it is put on the market.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption