Can I force my 18 year old son to leave my home?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I force my 18 year old son to leave my home?

The police told me I could not tell him to leave. They said I would have to evict him. I thought evictions were for those paying rent. I assumed once he turned 18, he was a guest. He threatened his younger brothers. Are the police correct?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You need to do some thing legally to have the ability to remove him.  Even a guest that becomes a squatter (guests are welcome; squatters are trespassers) have rights that need to be terminated.  Now, if he has threatened your family and the children are minors then you can request protective order (you are the kids legal guardians) but think if you want that kind of message sent and that legal stigma attached.  Eviction is also an option here and it may be the way to go.  Is there by any chance an adult that he trusts who could speak with him?  A program that may help him.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption