Can I file wrongful termination sue if the statement I was fired for is false?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file wrongful termination sue if the statement I was fired for is false?

My co-worker and I were playing around and joking. I touched the side of his head, he then aggressively pushed me. I then asked why he did since we were fooling around. I reported it to our team relations department. They terminated me saying that I violated the policy against workplace violence and serious misconduct.

Asked on October 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless your termination constitued some form of legally actionable discrimination or violated the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, it was legal. The fact is that a business can set the tconditions of the workplace much as it sees fit; this includes hiring and firing as it sees fit. In other words, a company can discharge a worker for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. This is known as "at will" employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption