Can I file my pwn lawsuit for 100k against driver and car insurance hire lawyer later time ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file my pwn lawsuit for 100k against driver and car insurance hire lawyer later time ?

I am in a bad situation and not sure what to do. I spoke with a lawyer over the
phone and he told me I can file now and hire later.

The only problem I have with this is, I have an idea what I need to ask for due
to car accident, but I am worried if I ask too much ?

I dont have time due to SOL and medical treatment to look for lawyers now. I
was going to settle the claim but I didnt and need to file asap.

My question is, can I file a lawsuit now and hopefully hire a layer another time

Thanks so much for all your help

Asked on January 4, 2018 under Accident Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file the lawsuit now. If necessary, you can file an amended complaint, later. The complaint is the lawsuit. The lawsuit must be filed since the statute of limitations is approaching. If the statute of limitations expires, you will lose your rights in the matter forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption