Where can I file for divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I file for divorce?

My husband and I are both active military. I need to know if I can file for divorce in my home state of DE (driver’s license and vehicle registration are from there; I’m a resident). We live in NC where we were. We have never lived in DE together.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Family Law, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  May I first state that I would like to thank you and your husband for your service to our country.  Now, it may be a better thing for you strategically- and it sounds like you are both in agreement as to ending your marriage - to file for divorce in North Carolina.  North Carolina has enacted a provision of the divorce law specifically for military personnel stationed in their state: you are stationed in the state.   Delaware has as well - you or your spouse must reside there or be stationed there - but you are going to have to go there to file and appear, etc.  I would speak with an attorney in your area for some guidance on the matter. Good luck to both of you and please stay safe.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption