Can I file for property damages done to my home caused by cable company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file for property damages done to my home caused by cable company?

On July 6 2016 cable line was loosen and drooping over the road. I called and informed the company that someone needed to come out and fix it before a car tore it the rest of the way down. Needless to say no one fixed the issue and a garbage truck came by on July 11 and tore it down and in the meantime damaged my house because the cable was put behind my siding by installers. I was without cable and internet for 23 days. I have been issued 16 or 18 ticket to fix my problem. I have spent at least 15 hours on the phone with different customer service people. They keep telling me they want to resolve this issue, I have been told that an insurance adjuster will be out to fix. I am not happy with this company and need some advice it I have a legal right for all the aggravation and the fact my house is not fixed and water is getting behind my siding.

Asked on November 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your *own* insurance (assuming you have relevant coverage) will not or does not pay the cost of the repairs (including for any resulting water damage, etc.), you can sue the cable company for the money, if they won't pay voluntarily; when someone negligently (carelessly) damages another's property, they are liable for the reasonably foreseeable (logical or reasonably predictable) consequences of that action. However, when they don't pay, the only way to try force them to pay is via suing them. You sue the cable company, not their insurer; their insurer does not have an obligation directly to you, but rather to their insured to defend and pay for them as appropriate (i.e. when sued).
(Note: if your insurer does pay but you have high deductible, you can sue for the deductible or any other amounts not paid by insurance.)
However, you can only recover compensation for provable economic losses or costs, or physical damage; there is no compensation for your time and aggravation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption