can I file for contempt of court myself?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I file for contempt of court myself?

My ex-husband was ordered by the court to submit paperwork for a QUADRO and has never done so. It has been over a year and he still has not done so. What can I do myself because I do not have the funds to hire anyone. thank you

Asked on October 26, 2016 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file for contempt yourself.  You should file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing.  Contact the court clerk to schedule a hearing.  You should also file with the Order to Show Cause a declaration signed under penalty of perjury of the facts supporting your contempt of court claim.  Also, file any other supporting documents.  File all of these documents at the same time with a proof of service.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex or his attorney if he has an attorney.  The proof of service provides notice of the contempt of court action and hearing.
Check with the court clerk prior to filing your documents to inquire what documents are required to file in this matter because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption