Can I file bankruptcy regarding a car accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file bankruptcy regarding a car accident?

I got into an accident in 2015 with another vehicle coming out of my apartment complex. The vehicle hit me on my driver side door trying to make the turning signal. I didn’t have insurance at the time and I had to pay fines when we went to court. The judge ruled I was at fault because I was in the intersection. Now he is suing me for $30,000 but I don’t have that kind of money or no where close to it. What can I do because honestly it was his fault because i was already in

the intersection when the light changed.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be premature to file bankruptcy until there is a court judgment against you because you will need to know the exact amount of the judgment.
At that time, you can file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption