Can I file an harassment lawsuit against a company that I lease furniture from?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file an harassment lawsuit against a company that I lease furniture from?

I have a lease contract and I missed this month’s payment by one day, but they keep calling my parents phone and leaving threating messages on their phone. They showed up to my house and almost broke the back door because they were pulling and banging on it. Do I have any legal rights to file harassment suit.

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like they are close to that claim.  They seem now to be acting a a debt collection agency and those tactics are surely forbidden under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).   Contact the state attorney general's offce.  Contact the polcie if they show up again. And get a lawyer to return that stuff and be rid of them (you will need to break the contract).  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption