Can I file a suit against someone for not complying to the terms of our contract?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a suit against someone for not complying to the terms of our contract?

I paid a company $1500 for a loan of $80,000. The loan was to be processed 7-14 business days. Since 11/2/16 there was supposed to be a wire sent out to me but there was an issue everyday with the funds. Contract stated that if he did not complete the task in the said time he would give me my full refund which i have yet to receive. I also put plans in motion and do to all the lying and negligence I’ve lost a lot of money. I want all that money lost plus my refund. I’m looking for $100,000.

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a contract is legally enforceable in court, so you could sue for breach of contract. You can't sue for $100,000; you can only sue for your actual loss, which would be the fee you paid ($1,500)--the loan itself is not a "loss" since if it was a loan, you'd have to repay the money pursuant to its terms, so it was not "your" money. (Alternately, you could potentially sue for a court order requiring them to make the loan pursuant to the agree upon terms, but to do that, you'd need to sue in Law Division, not Small Claims or Special Civil Part, which will increase the time, cost, and complexity of the action--you can get monetary compensation in Small Claims or Special Civil, but only Law Division can order "specific performance," or that a contract or loan agreement be complied with.)
If the company is out  of state or, worse, international, the cost and complexity of suing them increases, as does the difficulty of enforcing any judgment or court order against them (i.e. you could win the case and still struggle--and spend more money--to get them to comply). And if they are a thinly capitalized LLC or corporation and shut down, dissolve, or file bankruptcy, you may never collect. Or if this was always a scam, as it may be based on what you write (i.e. based on what they offered and the way they have failed  to comply), then the odds are strong that you'll never get your money back or the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption