Can I file a legal complaint for being pulled over by 8 cop, guns drawn, and car searched for no reason?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a legal complaint for being pulled over by 8 cop, guns drawn, and car searched for no reason?

I was pulled over today by 8 cop cars today. They had their weapons drawn. I’m a contractor and was driving my truck to a warehouse to pick up materials. I had been working all morning and had been obeying all traffic laws so I was uncertain why I was being pulled over. I had to get out of my truck and down on ground. At this point, guns are drawn on me. After checking my I.D. They stated I wasn’t who they were looking for. I had my employees with me. Not only did they waste my time but also embarrassed me. Can I file a legal complaint? I was not arrested and received no ticket.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under General Practice, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can make a claim under the governmental tort claims act with respect to what happened to you vis a vis law enforcement and see what happens or you can make a complaint with internal investigations with that particular law enforcement branch and see what the results are.

I understand your concern and embarassment over what happened. However, apartment from hurt feelings, how have you actually suffered any actual damages? The law requires actual damages to be compensated. I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney further over what transpired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption