Can i fight a window tint ticket when I bought my car from a dealer with the tint all ready on the car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i fight a window tint ticket when I bought my car from a dealer with the tint all ready on the car?

Bought my used car in June 2016. Got pulled
over supposedly for no seat belt which I
clearly showed him it was on. Who doesn’t wear
a seat belt anymore. He also said my windows
were illegally tinted and I had no front plate.
He sighted me for illegal window tint with a
warning for no front plate. O.r.c states that a
dealer or manufacturer cannot sell a motor
vehicle with illegal window tint.

Asked on October 12, 2017 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't fight the ticket on this basis:  as the car's owner, you are liable for the tint on the windows, even if you purchased them tinted from another or were misinformed about the legality of the windows and their tint. Car owners have to make sure their cars are legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption