Can I expunge my Record?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I expunge my Record?

Hello. I’m a 23 yr old male living in Texas.
My question is can I clear my criminal
records if I only have one felony.
I was charged with Burglary of A Building in
2010 and was given 4 yrs probation. I had
some misdemeanors in 2014 that caused me
violate it and was put in jail. I only did 8
months in County and never saw State jail and
was released in October 2014. I have since
never been arrested and or even questioned by
the police. Since this is the Only Felony I
have and ive been Out of Trouble for Quite
some time. Can I have this taken off my
Record so I don’t have to put it down on Job
applications and Etc? Any Info would be
Appreciated. Thank You.

Asked on February 20, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it was a regular probation, also called a strait probation, you can not clear your record.  However, if it was a deferred probation, then you can seek an order of non-disclosure.  This is where law enforcement gets to keep the information, but the general public (Including employers) are not allowed to see the information.  you do not qualify for an expunction which gets it completely off your record, however, the non-disclosure is usually sufficient to get you some relief.  If the non-disclosure order is entered, then you can honestly answer that you have not been placed on probation for a felony offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption