Can I expect any type of compensation for a facial cleanser that burned my skin?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I expect any type of compensation for a facial cleanser that burned my skin?

A facial cleanser turned my skin a deep red and really hurt. It looked like a burn from hot oil. This was my first time using a product from this company. I left the product on for just a few minutes while I removed boiling tea water from the stove and then immediately washed it off. This product is not meant to be left on; however it was very brief and the instructions mention nothing about a time limit. That night the red subsided, but my skin is still tinged pink and sensitive. There is no scarring. I did take photos. The company offered nothing, not even a refund.

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may not be entitled to compensation--you write that the "product is not meant to be left on," but that you did leave it one, albeit briefly. When an injury is caused by not using a product correctly, the manufacturer and seller are generally not liable.

Furthermore, you do not seem to have suffered lasting or permanent damage; since you would have to sue to get compensation, if the company refuses to provide any voluntarily, but you can only sue for an amount of compensation commensurate with the physical injury or medical costs you incurred, which seems to be minimal, a lawsuit would almost certainly cost you more than you could recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption