Can I evict my husband and girlfriend out of our house

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I evict my husband and girlfriend out of our house

My husband an I are separated due to my
being forced out of my home about 2
months later she moved in. Now she is
trying to move her family in. He has
asked her to leave, she tells him she
isn’t going any where. I stay with my
son I can’t afford to get place to stay,
I’m disabled, is there anything I can

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may not evict her if he allows her to stay there: you and he both have equal rights to the marital home, and while you can both stay there (e.g. you can move back in), you cannot evict a "guest" he allows to stay there (and he could not evict your guest, if you allowed someone to stay): each having rights to live there, you each have the right to let other people stay there, too.
You similarly cannot him: he again has the right to be in the marital home.
You and he together could remove her and her family: guests cannot remain when the owners of property (or persons who otherwise have the legal right to possession of the property) tell them to leave. If they did not leave on demand, you could have them removed by the courts by what is commonly called an action "for ejectment" (eviction for non-rent-paying tenants), though your state may have a different name for it. But you need his cooperation for this.
So you can't make him and the girlfriend move out against his will, but he and you together could remove her and her family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption