Can I do a summons by publication in lieu of having notice served by the court?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do a summons by publication in lieu of having notice served by the court?

I live in 1 county and my wife lives in another county but I don’t know where.

Asked on August 20, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In all states in this country service of a summons and complaint can be accomplished by way of publication if due diligence in trying to ascertain the location of a defendant fails to ascertain his or her place of location.

To establish due diligence, a search through the register of voters or motor vehicle department in a state where the defendant is believed to reside is required as well as attempts showing diligent searches to locate the person usually through some paid back ground search through a third party.

If the above is attempted without any success, you would then file a petition with the court where the lawsuit is venued asking for publication of the summons and complaint in an established newspaper. Your declaration must show what attempts were done to locate your wife and how the attempts were not successful.

If the court agrees with your petition, there will be an order issued for publication of the summons and complaint to be run for so many consecutive weeks in the stated newspaper in the court order.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption