Can I drop charges

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I drop charges

My boyfriend broke into my apartment and they
arrested him and he is sitting in jail. I know the guy
needs help. Is there a way I can ask for that instead
of jail? And if not do I have the right to drop the
charges? We are in Pennsylvania

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You do not have the right to drop the charges: you can ask the prosecutor to drop them, and/or to seek something more helpful to him (maybe counseling while on probation) rather than jail time, but that's all you can do: ask. In a civil case (a lawsuit; like suing someone for hitting your car, or not paying for something they bought from you or work you did for them), the victim is the plaintiff and is charge of the case: the victim can drop it at will. But in a criminal case, the victim is not the one bringing it--the government is (that's why criminal cases are captioned or titled "State vs."). The government prosecutes to enforce its laws; the victim is just a witness to the crime, often called the "complaining witness." The prosecutor may--and often does--choose to honor the victim's request in less serious crimes (e.g. ones not involving injury to a person), but is not obligated to do so; the prosecutor can continuethe case over your objections. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption