Can I drive commercially with my newly reinstated CDL?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I drive commercially with my newly reinstated CDL?

I received a citation for driving with a suspended license late last night I did not know it wassuspended. I went to the DMV and corrected the error which had caused the suspension missing paperwork from my DOT physical and had my license reinstated. Now that my license is reinstated, can I resume commercial

driving right away?

Asked on May 2, 2017 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can: a license is valid from the moment it is issued or, in this case, reinstated. It would be a very good idea to get copies of the documentation showing reinstatement and provide them to any employers or prospective employers (and keep a copy with you, in case you are stopped by the police for any reason), in case there is some error in the DMV system and the reinstatement does not promptly show.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption