Can I do something?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do something?

In January this year my husband and I
were in a car accident. Not long before
this I had been promoted with a pay
raise and more responsibilities. Upon
returning to work after my sprained
ankle had healed, my supervisor and the
Human Resources manager sat down with me
and told me that due to me being 7
months pregnant, since I was more
emotional, could not see my feet, and
would have to get on the floor and lift
heavy things all of which stood the
same in my original position as well
that I would keep the same pay but would
go back to only operating the machines
rather than my promoted position. Now,
since I was returning from FMLA, is this
allowed? Or should I go forward trying
to sue for emotional distress, punitive
damages and discrimination? I made it
very clear i wanted to do my job that I
worked very hard to earn and they kept
saying I ‘thought I was better than
operating presses’

Asked on June 28, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An employer may not discriminate against a woman due to preganancy: that is considered anti-female discrimination (illegal sex-based discrimination), since only women get pregnant. The comments you decribe (more emotional; "could not see my feet") are anti-female comments which suggest there was anti-women discrmination going on.
It is also illegal to retaliate against (punish) someone for having used FMLA leave, so it appears illegal retaliation may be going on.
You have already taken the correct first steps: filing complaints with federal and state agencies (e.g. EEOC, department of labor--either federal or state, and your state's equal/civil rights agency). See what happens with those complaints: if the agencies can help you, their help is free, and they have expertise in these areas. If you don't get a satisfactory resolutino from them, you can always looking into filing a lawsuit. If you want, contact an attorney now to discuss the case, to make sure you don't miss any deadlines (but of course, you'll have to pay your own lawyer), but it is likely the case that you should let the investigations play out first.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption