Can I do my own divorceif it is uncontested?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do my own divorceif it is uncontested?

If so, what do I need to do? My husband and I has been separated for over a year. We have a minor child age 6. She resides with me, her mother. We both agree on visitation and child support which has been in place with no problem. I was checking into on-line divorce. Is that a smart way to go?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can contact an attorney who mediates divorce.  Usually, if you agree on everything, the attorney will make sure you have considered everything and assist you in preparing the paperwork properly.  Once it is prepared, you can walk the paperwork into the court, and actually get divorced immediately.

If you do not have the funds to pay an attorney, you can prepare the paperwork yourself.  The Probate and Family Court can provide you with all the required paperwork to file, and you will also have to put together a seperation agreement with all the terms that you and your husband agreed to.  Since it is joint, you may also walk it in to the court and get divorced immediately.  I would recommend at the very least to have an attorney review the provisions to make sure that you cover all your necessary bases.  There are many issues that you may not think of, such as worrying about your child's college expenses, or a division of a 401k using a QDRO that an attorney will point out to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption