Can I disclose personal information on my soon to be ex-husband?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I disclose personal information on my soon to be ex-husband?

Before I had sex with my soon to be husband, I told him that I had genital herpes. He made the choice to have sex with me. We got married and he ended up contracting the virus. We are now going through divorce. I recently found out he is sleeping with a friend of ours. Can I tell that friend that he has herpes?

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as you don't have some agreement or court order to not disclose this information you may. Truthful information about someone may always be discussed with or disclosed to other people, even if it is about a soon-to-be-ex-spouse or some other person with whom you had a close relationship, or someone you are (or will be) engaged in a court matter with or against.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption