Can I continue to work in the U.S. under an F1 visa after obtaining parmanent residence in Canada?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I continue to work in the U.S. under an F1 visa after obtaining parmanent residence in Canada?

I am an Indian citizen currently working in the U.S. on my 24 month OPT after

completing my MS. My OPT expires in about 2 years. Can I take parmanent

residence of Canada this year and still continue to work in the U.S. under my

existing visa? Will PR of Canada impact my status in any way?

Asked on February 21, 2018 under Immigration Law, South Carolina


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have authorized employment authorization in the US you can continue working in the US.  The status in Canada does not affect that.  However, i cannot speak about the requirements that Canada may have regarding your PR status and whether you have to satisfy the physical presence in Canada in order to maintain that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption