Can I collect unemployment if I’ve been suspended from my job without pay?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I collect unemployment if I’ve been suspended from my job without pay?

I got a call from my employer and they told me that another co-worker had reported me for verbally abusing a resident and it never happened it was the person that had reported me that was abusing them it is hearsay around the facility. I have been at my place of employment for just under a year. I would never abuse anyone I just would like to know what I need to do if I can file for unemployment or not.

Asked on July 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A worker is eligible for unemployment benefits if they are separated from employment through no fault of their own. In most states, if you get suspended for any reason other than for a layoff, the department will review the case to determine your eligibility. You may qualify for unemployment benefits during a suspension depending on why you were suspended (you must also meet certain other requirements). If the suspension is determined to be your fault, the unemployment department will most likely deny you benefits. Therefore if it resulted from misconduct or violation of company policy, you will be ineligible. Basically, you'll ned to file and then explain your side of things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption