Can I collect unemployment if I quit because my boss is breaking the law?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I collect unemployment if I quit because my boss is breaking the law?

My boss has done several things that cause me to feel thatI must leave. He does not include a paystub each week showing my deductions, he forced me to work at his private property during company time, he pays me a lower wage than what was agreed upon during the interview, there are certain unsafe conditions in the warehouse, he does not provide me with enough time for a full lunch break, and in general treats me rather poorly.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have not quit your employment yet, I suggest that you first consult with an attorney who practices labor law in that what your boss has done seems improper under the laws of all states in this country and could form a basis for constructive eviction. If you believe that the conditions at work are so bad for you that you have to terminate your employment, potentially you may be entitled to unemployment benefits.

The final decision ultimately will be with the Unemployment Office as to your entitlement to such benefits if you quit work on your own volition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption