Can I claim my little 14 year old sister as a dependent on my taxes?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I claim my little 14 year old sister as a dependent on my taxes?

I live with my mom and 2 sisters; 1 has a baby. My mom does not work and receives a monthly social security check. My mom also receives child support for my little sister weekly.

Asked on June 11, 2011 under Business Law, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you may not be able to claim your sister as a dependent unless you have in some way adopted her and further, if you are living under the same roof, your mother is probably filing as head of household or single with dependents. You should all go and speak with a certified public accountant and make sure you check with the state licensing authority to ensure the person you choose or people you choose with whom to consult does not have or do not have disciplinary records. At the end of the day, you will probably need to figure out what is best for your entire household, especially if your mother is getting both social security payments and child support. Is your mother claiming the grandchild as a dependent or is the child's mother of age? You need to address all of these issues to see if you can save some money or figure out a better living configuration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption