Can I change my suspended sentence to a deferred sentence after serving over half of my probation sentence?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I change my suspended sentence to a deferred sentence after serving over half of my probation sentence?

I got a 4 1/2 year suspended probation sentence I have a year and a half left but I want to request it to be changed to a deferred sentence instead. I wanted to get completely off and have the deferred but my PO recommended doing only one. I am a military spouse and would prefer to get both. What should I do?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you prefer to receive a deferred sentence as opposed to the suspended sentence in place against you pertaining to the prior criminal matter involving you, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if this can be accomplished under the laws of your state as well as well as what is written in the sentencing report pertaining to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption