Can I cancel my contract with the property management company I hired last month to manage my condo?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I cancel my contract with the property management company I hired last month to manage my condo?

I hired a property management company to look after my condo last month. They have double charged my tenant this month and been generally difficult to deal with, changing property managers on my account without any contact made and causing my tenants problems over how pament is made. I want to leave and hire a new company. Do I have the right to do this? In the contract it states I can terminate services after 1 year at any time. I’ts been one month, but enough to show me they are incompetent and as I am leaving to move overseas, I need a company I can trust?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for writing that portion of the contract that you feel is relevant. However, the contract needs to be read in full and I would strongly suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your area on the matter as soon as possible.  It could be that they have breached the contract on other terms and that you have a right to cancel or ask a court to render it void.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption