Can I cancel employer health insurance if the employer raises my contribution amount 50% outside of open enrollment?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I cancel employer health insurance if the employer raises my contribution amount 50% outside of open enrollment?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Louisiana


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon,

Thanks for posting to our site. To get right to your question you are not required to have health insurance with an employer. If for some reason you believe that is a requirement of your employment you would need to specify why you feel that to be the case.

In a normal employment situation health insurance is offered as a benefit but it is not mandatory but rather something employees can take advantage of if they choose to do so. if the contributions are too high or you can get cheaper coverage elsewhere you would be well within your rights, subject to my initial question, to cancel coverage. Call your insurer and confirm but usually enrollment times may be limited but you can cancel whenever you would like

good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption