Can I cancel a professional service agreement prior to when the agreed terms of contract begin?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I cancel a professional service agreement prior to when the agreed terms of contract begin?

I have signed a contract with a dental consulting firm to assist me building my start-up dental practice and I wish to get out of this contract. I am unable complete payment without sacrificing the success of business. The terms of our agreement does not begin until I sign a lease for my office location and I do not want to move forward with signing the lease with this contract in place.

Asked on July 28, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Read the written contract with the dental consulting firm that you signed carefully in that its terms and conditions control how to proceed with your question. If the agreement that you want to cancel specifically states as a condition precedent for its enforcement that you first need to sign a lease for an office location to proceed, then if you do not sign a lease for your practice then the professional service contract does not come into enforcement and beome legally binding.

Read carefully if the professional service lease gives you a certain time to enter into a lease for an office location by a certain date. If you do not have a lease for your practice by a certain date as stated in the document, then write the person who signed the professional service agreement for the company staing that fact and ask for a written cancellation of the agreement signed by all.

To be safe, you should consult with a business attorney on the subject.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption