Can I bring my child with me on a trip when there is no legal custody agreement?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I bring my child with me on a trip when there is no legal custody agreement?

I am the unwed mother of a 4 year old. I never married his father and we are no longer together. Since the dissolution of our relationship I have verbally agreed to my son being with his father every other week, with the stipulation that if special occasions arise we would be flexible with the schedule. I had planned to help a friend with her children for a little over a week, she lives in another state, and before I made the plans ran it by my ex to make sure he was OK with a few less days with our son in exchange he would get a few more days at his choosing another time.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You and your ex seem to have a good relationship about your son and that is really good for everyone involved.  Legally if you were never married and there is no legal custody or support agreement then you are the child's only legal guardian.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption