Can I break my lease due to improper dryer ventilation?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my lease due to improper dryer ventilation?

My dryer stopped working last month. The maintenance man said the problem was that the vent was too long, causing hot, moist air to back up into the dryer and room. He “fixed” it by venting the dryer directly into the crawl space/attic instead of outside. He told me this is safe and that he has done it in other units. From what I’ve read, this is a mold/health risk. I emailed management 2 weeks ago and called twice this week, but nothing has been done. Can I legally break my lease? I don’t want to pay a penalty, but I also have asthma and don’t want to live with the dryer venting into the house.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are absolutely in the right to do this, so you should talk to the health department in your city and county and also the building and safety department, because it could also be a fire risk. Before you move, talk to these agencies on Monday morning, have them come out to inspect and tell you whether this is legal or not. Then, if it is not, you can consider this to be a breach of the lease and immediately notify your landlord per the terms of the lease agreement and make sure you give enough notice and ensure you inform him you want your security back in full for his lack of habitability of the apartment if this is what the agencies tell you will happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption