Can I break my lease due to flea infestation?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my lease due to flea infestation?

Moved 9 months ago. I’m never home due to being gone 3 days a week for school. My roommate is also hardly there. We have no pets and keep an extremely well kept apartment. We left last week to go out of town she got home tonight to find our apartment so badly infested it looks like it should be on TV. Just from walking into the apartment for 5 minutes she was bit 25 times. We informed the apartment and will be bombing it. But they want us to vacuum several times a day for at least 2 weeks to make sure they stay gone. But neither of us can do this. Can we break the lease?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can not take it upon yourselves to break the lease.  You would need to go to court to ask that the Judge rebder the lease void.  I doubt, however, that a judge would do that in light of the fact that the condition is being taken care of by the owner or management company.  I believe that you also have an obligation to help here and they are not being unreasonable.  Maybe you may need to ask a friend to help with the vacuuming.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption