Can I break my lease if my neighbors and I do not get along?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my lease if my neighbors and I do not get along?

I just moved into new apartment with 2 small kids (lease for 12 months). My neighbors started to complain that music in my apartment is to loud (it isn’t; I have 2 small kids home and I’m not making a party). She wants me to play so quiet that Ican barely hear. Now my neighbors from downstairs complain that my kids make to much noise and scream at them on stairs for making too much noise. Is there any chance that I can move out now? I’m fine with leaving my security deposit but I can’t make any additional payments. Can my landlord evict me for this and if yes (would be great) do I need pay for that month of rent?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can rake your lease for various reasons under most state laws.  When, say, an apartment becomes uninhabitable then you can claim constructive eviction and leave.  When you are being denied the "quiet enjoyment" of your apartment because of harassing neighbors (and you have complained to the landlord in writing many times and they still harass you) then maybe then too.  Can you landlord evict you?  Possibly but he may not want to.  It can be costly.  Your best bet in this situation may be to approach your landlord and negotiate yourself out of your lease.  If you neighbors are complaining to you ten to one they are complaining to the landlord.  He may be very happy to have you leave.  But do not be so quick to give up too much.  Security deposits are not to be used for rent.  If he agrees to let you then get it in writing.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption