Can I break my lease2 months early due to an on-going outdoor rodent problem?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I break my lease2 months early due to an on-going outdoor rodent problem?

I moved into my apartment 3 months ago. Since then we have had an on going rat problem. I have only seen them outside and in my outdoor storage. I have called and told management multiple times, they did last summer set an outdoor rat trap, but have not caught anything or done anything more about it. Can I be release from my lease due to this issue? I have a 15 month old and don’t want her to be put in danger of physical harm or illness caused by these rodents and they are bold enough to run right next to you in the middle of the day.

Asked on April 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, if there is a rodent problem inside the housing unit and the landlord has refused to take care of it or the attempts have failed, a warranty of habitability is broken and then you have a means for breaking the lease agreement.  Here , the rodent problem is outside the dwelling unit but inside the storage unit, which you still pay for, so I think it may be reasonable to bring the issue up. Egress and ingress to the unit seem to be compromised as well so I think you are ok there too.  Also, I am sure that ther are Department of Health violations going on here which need to be addressed.  Landlords are generally in violation of some health code if there are rats on the premises they own.  But you have to give the landlord time to rectify the problem.  Go to Court and ask to start an action where you pay your rent in to court until the problem is rectified. If it is not rectified then the court may give you the option of breaking the lease. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption