Can i become a legal guardian for a minor in mexico and get him a visitor visa

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i become a legal guardian for a minor in mexico and get him a visitor visa

Im a US citizen and i have a
firend and her son in Mxico i
want to bring her son for
vacations, she doesnt have a
visitor visa or her son and she
doesnt want a visa anyway so can
she make me her 6 year old son his
legal guardian and i can get the
visa for him so he can come for

Asked on November 24, 2016 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Guardians cannot get  visas for children.  Every person applies for a visa in his/her right and that is not a guaranteed right.  If the child can make a successful application for why he needs or wants to go to the US, he may be able to get a visa (such as to visit grandparents, friends, go to camp, etc)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption