Can I be taken to court for my dad’s double wide that he owned?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be taken to court for my dad’s double wide that he owned?

The rent is two months behind there was
no will I’m not executior of state how
can they take me to court for his
property ??? I’m the only heir is this a
way they can make me pay ??

Asked on January 15, 2018 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they cannot sue you personally or make you pay out of pocket (your own money) unless you were on the lease with him: his debts or obligations do not become yours.
They can sue his "estate"--the money and assets he left behind--and get the back rent from it: the estate is liable for the decedent's (the person who died) debts. They can get the money which you would otherwise inherit, but the most they can get is full amount of inheritance, assuming the back rent equals or exceeds it--they can't make you pay or put in your own money.
They can also take you to court to remove you from the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption