Can I be suspended from employment without pay reason or document over the phone on my day off?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be suspended from employment without pay reason or document over the phone on my day off?

Got a text message on my day off
from boss to call a lady in hr I did
and she said my employment with
company was suspended pending
investigation. She said I would
hear from her on wed. My tuesday
was already covered. That’s it all
she could tell me.

Asked on May 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Does this action violate an employment contract or union agreement, if any? Does your treatment constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination? It not, then as an "at will" worker, your employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes firing an employee without giving a reason. In fact, an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Further, a worker does not have a right to be terminated in person; they can be discharged in a letter, an email, or even over the phone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption