CanI be fired for a false allegation?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI be fired for a false allegation?

I have worked for this company for 5 years and have never been in trouble. All of a sudden someone new gets hired and starts making accusations against me for which I was given a verbal suspension on Monday for. By Friday I guess they had found no truth to the story and called and asked about a situation that occurred last month. I answered the questions about that as well, then they called and said we have decided to let you go based that incident (which wasn’t the one I was suspended for).

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, yes you could be terminated (suspended) due to a false allegation. If you are an "at will" employee, your employer can hire or fire you for any reason (even a bad one) or no reason at all (with or without notice) That is unless there is a stated company policy to the contrary or there is a union/employment agreement that prohibits such action. Also, if this situation was due to some form of discrimination, that would be illegal. I'm afraid that based of the facts you have presented, your employer is within its rights and violated no laws.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption