Can I be sued if my wife has an accident while using an automobile that is in her name only?

UPDATED: May 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued if my wife has an accident while using an automobile that is in her name only?

I’ve been told that putting a vehicle in her name would not protect me liability but I’ve also been advised to keep the vehicles in separate names and only drive the one we have title to.

Asked on May 24, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The issue will be whether you are obligated to this person. Here is the deal. Your wife can and will probably be sued, along with your insurance company and you. This is because married couples enjoy liability together. With that being said, you will most likely be dropped as you were not the driver though the insurance is probably in both of your names. Unless this is a catastrophic accident, your insurance company will most likely settle this out prior to going to suit as long as it can help it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption