Can I be sued if my 15 year-old son got caught touching a 13 year-oldgirl on her privates?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued if my 15 year-old son got caught touching a 13 year-oldgirl on her privates?

My son snuck into his sister’s room and touched her friend’s privates; she was was spending the night. When the girl woke up, he said sorry and left the room. I am concerned that her parent could sue me personally for his actions. We were home but sleeping in our room. She had her mother’s permission to spend the night. My son is currently in counseling for his actions and a police investigation was initiated at our request.

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is *possibly* you could be sued. As a parent, you are responsible for the actions of your minor child, especially committed in your home, under your supervision. Therefore, as a general matter, if your son could have been sued (were he an adult) for the action, you, as his parents, may be sued. And unwanted touching or sexual assault (and that's what this is--a form of sexual assault) can lead to a lawsuit. All that said, in a civil lawsuit, absent exceptionally bad circumstances, someone can only sue for compensation for injuries or damage. Unless there was some physical injury, it would seem that the only possibility to sue her *might* be for intentional infliction of emotional harm and/or the cost of any now-needed counseling. So there is a possibility, to seems, for  a lawsuit, and it would make sense for you to consult with an attorney (e.g. a personal injury attorney) to better understand any potential liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption