Can I be sued if Im legally married and go on a trip with my girlfriend out of the country?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued if Im legally married and go on a trip with my girlfriend out of the country?

My girlfriend bought me and her a trip to
Mexico for my birthday. My wife we are
separated not legally but do live apart says
she will sue us if we go on the trip. Is this a
possibility that she can win that sort of case?

Asked on April 29, 2019 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no "lawsuit" for going on a trip with a girlfriend while married. 
However, if she elects to divorce you over this, the court may take your infidelity and going on an out-of-country trip into account; this could end up influencing a divorce and who gets what out of it. If you and your wife are living separate lives, you may wish to consider divorcing and so disentangling yourselves from each other.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption