Can I be sued for a washer that I sold online?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be sued for a washer that I sold online?

I sold someone a washing machine on Facebook for $150 and within a day the woman who bought it is claiming that it’s giving her error codes. She now demands a refund or replacement. I told her that it was working fine for me and that I make a good faith effort to

make sure that anything I sell is of good quality, however it was sold

Asked on September 6, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) She can't legally force or require you to be investigated, and if her uncle uses IRS connections to cause an investigation for personal reasons, he committed a crime. However, while they cannot use connections to cause a baseless investigation solely to harass you, anyone can inform the IRS of suspected tax cheating or tax fraud, and the IRS may choose to investigate. So they can provide information to IRS; the IRS then freely decides what to do with it.
2) While you would not need to refund money if you were unaware of any problems, if you did know, you could be required to repay it, and possibly pay additional amounts, too--that is because it is fraud to sell as good a product you know has trouble or problems. While you write that it was working for you, a court of course does not know that in advance; therefore, she could file a lawsuit (e.g. in small claims court) and force you to respond to it.
For $150, it may be worth refunding her money and taking the washer back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption